Tuesday 22 August 2017

Last call for Tara's Palace and Childhood Museum...

Following on from yesterday's post, here is the 4th side of Tara's Palace - although the angle of the picture isn't great but you can get the idea of the layout of the rooms.


On this side you will find the majority of the household bedrooms as well as servants' quarters, and the working rooms of the palace.

We'll start with the bedrooms. These bedrooms would have been not quite so fancy as the master bedroom seen in the first section - reserved for children or perhaps grandparents. Also - it's hard to tell which bedrooms are which but at least a couple of these plainer bedrooms would have been for servants - although in real life I can't imagine any servant having a bedroom/sitting room as large as any of these.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but -- I can't seem to apologize enough for all of the glare from the sunlight bouncing off the glass fronts on the room. So sorry!:






There is also another sitting room:


I love the bathroom in this set of rooms. Notice there are at least three bathtubs in here. I guess the servants or the children didn't mind the concept of communal bathing!


Then, of course, we have the centre of operations - the Kitchen:


...and, of course, the linen room:


There was also a garage/workshop area. It was difficult to get pictures of it which because, for some reason, this room in particular always had so many people vying for a viewing spot of that room that I couldn't get close enough for a decent shot. But - I persevered. So - here is the last room - the garage:


Now - having finished your tour of Tara's Palace, I do have a few more pictures of other items in the Museum of childhood that you might enjoy.

First, some information about "Shell Park":



And - here is the park:





The Museum also has a lovely selection of antique christening gowns on display:


Collections of dolls and teddy bears, antique miniature carriages and caravans, micro-sized fire engines and emergency vehicles, other small toys and houses, and many other things that would have delighted any child:




Also on display is “Portabello”, built circa 1700, possibly the earliest surviving doll’s house in Ireland. I can't share too many pictures of this one because most turned out so badly because of the extreme glare and reflections of people that you can't make out the items on the rooms.
Here are the few pictures of Portabello that are at least a little viewable:







There were so many things to be seen in this small museum, especially when you consider that Tara's Palace took up all of the largest room in the museum area. But, I think I will close with a few pictures of a delightful, much smaller dollhouse:












So - I hope you have enjoyed this little tour of Tara's Palace and Childhood Museum. Now you all need to buy an airplane ticket and make your way to Powerscourt Estates in Enniskerry, Ireland and see it in person!!! Maybe I'll see you there next time. TTFN!!! - Marilyn

4 comments:

  1. Hello Marilyn,
    What a great way to start the day (It's 6:27 here in Montreal)! Don't apologize for the glare...if anything I am sure many of us are thankful to discover such amazing projects. I love the servants quarters. The rooms were all well thought out. I also love the last smaller dollhouse you showed us. I think I would go nuts working in a toy museum! I especially likes the pictures of kitchens...they inspire me as I am working on my own.
    Have a wonderful day
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Giac - I love kitchens - so many cool things to make and accessorize with. They really let your imagination soar! The other room I really love is a laundry room - whether Victorian, mid-century or modern, laundry rooms have so many great things to look at and explore. I love the old mangles, the tubs and drying racks, and all the things that go with them. Another room on my wish/to-do list - Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing all of these marvelous photos with us, Marilyn! It is good to have you back! I hope all of the rest of the renovations and reorganizing get you back to enjoying your home and minis again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi. It's good to be back. Now I'm going to try to catch up with all my reading - there are so many blogs I haven't followed in a couple of months. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has been up to! - Marilyn

      Delete