Friday 8 April 2016

Montreal Miniature Show - Act III

Today and tomorrow we will finish up our look at the 2016 Montreal Miniatures Show. Then I really have to get back to my own work!! I have so much to do, so little time.

Don't forget - you can click on a picture to make it larger if you want to examine the details more closely.


So, moving right along, we have two pieces from Cathy Colligan. Her first piece is an adorable scene of children doing what they do best - getting dirty! I love the way she's created the scummy little pond and the little guy in the process of gathering more tadpoles to add to those already in the jars on the shore. I see there is an adult looking on as a little girl helps the fellow with the tadpoles and other children are relaxing atop the little hill. What a great scene.


Her second piece is a quarter scale city street. I love the use of angles and techniques that add a sense of depth that goes beyond the actual scene. In the only two projects I have completed to date I have tried to show that the scene carries on beyond what you can see in the completed project. In my Mardi Gras lamp base I put in the angled wall with a picture of New Orleans behind it to make it look like you were looking over the balcony into the streets below. In my second project --- ah, yes - I haven't shown you that one yet. Mum's the word! All will be revealed eventually.



In the meantime, check out the tricks used in this special little piece. It was difficult to get a good picture because of its size and the plexiglass covering however I had to include it. If you are able to see it, the alley, or street, carries off into the distance, a man is walking on the bridge toward the scene of the street continuing on beyond. To add to the effect of distance, the rails of the bridge are taller in the front and spaced wider apart then narrow towards the back and are a little shorter. This really adds to the effect. Lots of hints here how to create a linear perspective.

From June Barry we have a compact, adorable toy shop and a sunroom. These two projects show that you don't need a large dollhouse to create a stunning scene with lots of detail. I love the shape of the room box used for the toy shop. I've seen this particular box used for everything from a perfumery to a lingerie shop to a hairdresser's. It looks charming in every case.






Florence Dafter had several pieces on display, four of which I have captured here: a room "under construction"; a compact office scene; and two pieces that show what an animal lover she must be. I've nicknamed these two pieces "Animal Day Care" and "Animal Oasis". In both cases it looks like all feathered and furry inhabitants are thoroughly enjoying their situations.











A lovely little potting shed with patio and an attic scene with a little girl trying on items from the old trunk were contributions of Eleanor Dutton.






Marion Rahim shared a lovely nursery and a little kitchen scene I like to call "Children's tea-time". Then we have a really imaginative scene of gnomes relaxing at home by Kate Heenan. In contrast to this is a 1/2 scale (or 1/4? Sorry - can't remember) outdoor scene by Pierre Marinier that shows a lovely entry courtyard in a tree-lined setting.











MEM Club president, Beverley Lun, has two displays that prove the "less is more" adage. Sometimes one has individual items that are so stunning on their own that, to put them in a scene and surround them with other items would just lose the effect. In these cases it is wiser to display them on their own so their true artistry can really be appreciated. The first is a pair of incredible hand-crafted peacocks. Beverley informed me that you can get tiny peacock feathers, and several other kinds, through Cynthia Howe's website. I must check this out! The second grouping is, in my opinion, truly captivating. Beverley hand-stitched the chair fabric, carpet, footstool, and the work in progress on the needlework frame. Aren't they gorgeous!! They effect would truly be lost if they were placed amid several other competing pieces.






The last two I will leave you with today are both by Anne Lymburner. First we have a lovely band-stand set up inside a real drum. Everything is all set for their next performance - which, I think should truly be interesting since I see the band has a saxophone, a keyboard, what looks to be a cello, and a set of bagpipes. The resulting music should be intriguing, for sure!

Her second scene tells a complete story as well. See the red tape criss-crossing the window in the schoolroom? See the teacher with what looks to be a switch in her hand? See the little boy with his head hanging low? Behind his back he is holding several sheets of paper with the words: "I must not throw stones...I must not throw stones....I must not throw stones.." Oh dear, I hope the teacher won't be too hard on the poor little guy!






Tomorrow we will finish our tour of the exhibits from the Miniature Enthusiasts of Montreal by featuring a Group Club Project which will highlight just how many ideas can be generated by one project. Thank you for your patience so far in looking at all these pictures. The miniaturists who produced all of these certainly deserve recognition and applause for a job well done. TTFN!!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful array of projects...so much variety in the displays that showcase the talents of Montreal miniature enthusiasts. I particularly admire the stitching scene as the hours of hand work produced a lovely display...it is one of my passions too. Thank you so much for sharing pictures and the background information about the miniaturists...they do indeed deserve a round of applause! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this show was so nice. I am pleased that I found this post. My son’s birthday is coming and I would like to use this idea for the celebration party. I just need to find some affordable Seattle venues too. Could you help regarding it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - I'm glad you enjoyed the pics of the Montreal show. I don't know when your son's birthday is but the Seattle show takes place in March each year. There might be other events in the area but I am on the east coast of Canada so have no idea. Perhaps the organizer of the Seattle show could help you. You can email her at PatBennett at SeattleMiniatureShow dot com. Hope this helps. - Marilyn

      Delete